Re: Minimum Slab on Grade Steel

Keith:

ACI 318 7.12.2.1 DOES NOT apply to slab on grades.  In fact, the entire
ACI 318 document does not apply to slab on grades, except for VERY limited
situations (see section 1.1.6 in ACI 318-02...similar section if not the
same for older ACIs).

As Stan pointed out, I am not aware of any code provisions that dictacte a
minimum.  Nor am I aware of any minimum industry recommendations.

If it was on the contract documents, then I would likely politely point
out that the contractor has a contractual obligation to provide what was
shown on the drawings.

And, FWIW, I too use ACI temperature minimums for SOGs even though it is
not required.  If nothing else it is a reasonable basis.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI