Re: load bearing acoustic CMU

Ken Peoples wrote:
We have a project where the Architect would like to use acoustic CMU.  A manufacturer has not been selected yet, but I was wondering if these are OK for load bearing conditions. Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.

Ken,

We use SoundBlox in school gymnasiums all the time. Typically we use the 12" unit which gives an 8" load-bearing cmu wall with a 4" acoustical depth.  Where the wall heights dictate 12" load-bearing units, we require the architect to place a 4" acoustical unit as a separate wythe on the interior. Acoustically, they really work great. We use an acoustical roof deck also in some school competition gyms, which further deadens the noise. We have not seen any quality problems with Soundblox units.

--
Davis G. Parsons II, PE RA FAEI
a practical architectural engineer