RE: cement shortage

In a normal supply and demand equation, you'd be correct. This situation is slightly different. In the U.S., there is no scrap shortage; rather the prices have increased because the market has accepted higher prices. (The situation is somewhat analogous to fuel in the U.S.-I can readily fill my tank, I'm just unhappy about the prices I'm paying.)

And since there is no scrap shortage, there is no wide flange shortage (the situation is different for plate and HSS, which is why I specified rolled beams and columns). If you can privately let me know which fabricators are claiming material shortages I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Scott Melnick
melnick(--nospam--at)aisc.org