Re: Disclaimer Notes

Andrew:

Since Paul was nice enough to agree with me, I will return the favor and
agree with him.  <grin>

As SEOR, you are responsible for the design intent.  But this also
includes an implied "workable" design intent in my opinion.  This includes
making sure that you have enough shear area when coping beams or a
connection is feasible when a member frames in at a tight angle.

What you don't need to do is figure out what the exact length the
beam/column needs to be cut to, what the exact edge distances need to be
(as long as they are more than minimum and enough for the applied loads),
etc.  In otherwords, the SEOR need not determine all the specific,
"nitty-gritty" details for fabrication...just that any such items meet or
exceed what is needed from an engineering point of view.

Now, one can certainly debate as to how this should be accomplished.  This
can be the "East Coast" way, which is to show design intent but not
necessarily design all the connections as it allows the fabricator some
leeway to determine what best works for how their fab shop is setup.  If
this method is chosen, then it is still the SEOR's responsibility to
review the designed connections on the shop drawings to make sure they are
fine to carry required loads.  From my past experience, this means running
connection capacity calculations during the shop drawing review.

Or it can be the "West Coast" way, which means that the SEOR will in
effect "fully" design all the connections and show them on the his/her
drawings.  Thus, the capacity calculations by the SEOR are done during CD
production (as opposed to during shop drawing review).

The end result is that to my knowledge the SEOR is still responsible of
the capacity/engineering of the connections no matter how it is done.  In
theory, sealed shop drawings only can really help the SEOR get a "warm
fuzzy feeling", but the SEOR is still ultimately responsible whether they
are sealed or not.  At least that is how I understand it...

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI