Steel column tolerances

I am working on a three story steel building that has columns that are
broken at each floor level to allow for cantilevered beams to extend
"through" the columns.  The steel detailer asked me the question of whether
he should allow for shim plates between the column and cantilevered beam due
to the tolerance of +/- 1/8" on the beam depth.  That seemed reasonable to
me, but the erector claims that he can not be expected to shoot elevations
of the steel and install to a set elevation.  Can anyone point me towards a
reference that gives erection tolerences related to building framing
elevations?  Does the shim plate requirement seem out of the ordinary?

Thanks,
Brad Byrom, P.E.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission is confidential
and is intended only for the review of the party to whom it is addressed.
If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately return it to the sender.