seaint Digest for 23 May 2004

Andrew

A bit of perspective on an ongoing E-W discussion.  In California the
engineer designs the connections and provides details that allow the steel
detailer to work out the geometry and produce shop drawings.

This system is followed for architecturally complicated structures as well
as for more normal structures.  I have used this approach on very complex
structures.

It is my observation that on the East Coast that the engineer spends more
time dealing with simple steel connections than we do on the West Coast.
The secret is to develop typical details and verify that the member
reaction is less than the capacity.  Often times the selection of a
slightly deeper beam, that allows for an extra bolt will solve the problem.

It should be kept in mind that designing the connection does not mean that
you work out all of the geometry but rather you need to give the Detailer
the information he needs without having to hire an engineer.

I suggest that if you design the connections that you will have fewer
constructabilIity problems.

It is often suggested that letting the Contractor design connections saves
money.  If this is true than I would expect that steel construction would
be more expensive in the West Coast after you account for differing wage
rates etc.  Does AISC have any information.  Remember that when the
Fabricator designs connection he has to pay for an engineer to design them
and then has to wait for the designs to be approved before starting shop
drawings.  This all costs money.

Designing connections is a skill but for those that want to learn AISC has
a number of manuals that tell you all that you need to know.

Mark Gilligan