Re: steel connections/ fabricator

Is this meant to read that the SEOR must design the connections, or that the connections must be designed by a SE?  You'll probably find little disagreement that the detailer/drafter shouldn't be designing connections without the supervision and seal of a PE.  On large steel structures (in my old firm - I don't do much large steel now) we provided only reactions and moments unless the connection performance required a specific detail, in which case we would provide it. I would say 98% of all connections were designed by the Fabricator, and sealed by the Fabricators engineer.  (the big F in Fabricator is meant to be the company, Joe's Steel Corp., not a particular draftsman/welder)

Actually, we would usually get requests to modify nearly all of our in-house designed connections. As building designers, rather than full time steel detailers, our connections were usually 50-200% more expensive to fabricate than the "preferred" method, for the same strength and performance connection.   That "preferred" method varied by steel house, based on their expertise and shop equipment - as we found out when re-using an "efficient" connection method on a subsequent job, only to find that the new steel house "didn't usually do it that way".  The cost in construction administration manpower was not justified for all but the most critical situations.

Jordan