Firewall separation for footings

I have a 12" cmu fire wall abutting an existing 12" cmu wall with 2" of separation.  The new wall is considered a fire wall.

I was just asked to prove that it is acceptable per the code for the footings to be in contact with each other, otherwise they have to be separated.

Is this valid?  Do footings have to be isolated like this?

James Wilson, PE
wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com
Stroudburg, PA

Do you Yahoo!?