Re: Roof Plywood and Rain

Joseph,

        We had a four storey building here in Calgary that had the roof and
part of the top storey burned off in a fire.  It subsequently stood exposed
for about two years so it got very wet and some toxic mould also
developed.  We had no problems with plywood because the building, built in
1913, had no plywood used in its construction; but we did have other
problems you should watch for.

1.      After the building was closed in and being heated (dried out) the
2x10 fir floor joists and columns (6x6 and 8x8) began splitting.  This
problem took a month or two to reveal itself and a couple of months more to
reach completion.

2.      A toxic mould problem also developed.

        I would suggest that after you properly close in the roof (and
windows) you do not proceed to finish the interior too quickly otherwise
you might seal in either or both of the above problems without properly
fixing them.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson