Re: Seismic bracing of buildings using cable

> From: Drew Morris <dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com>

> Can anyone give me any leads on manufacturers who supply cables that can
> be used on seismic bracing of buildings? I have a project that the
> architect would like to use stainless steel cabling instead of HSS or
> threaded rod in front of the windows.

> From: Stanley E Scholl <sscholl2(--nospam--at)juno.com>
>
> I suggest that you talk with someone from a metal building manufacturer-
> they use cables all the time and could possibly help you.

That's a scary thought. Most metal building manufacturers that supply cable
bracing in buildings don't know anything about the product beyond the
Ultimate load value provided by the cable manufacturer or wholesaler. Slap
in a safe working load safety factor and ignore stiffness. After all,
aircraft cable is really good stuff, right?

You can get wire rope from nice glossy finish to black (uncoated). After
that, there is a forest of options and assembly conditions depending on the
application. Talk to a wire rope manufacturer, first.

Check out
American wire producers association
www.awpa.org

Wire rope corporation of america
www.wrca.com

Wire rope industries
www.wirerope.com

Roeblings wire and wire products
www.inventionfactory.com/history/rhawire/

and to connect it all
The Crosby Group
www.thecrosbygroup.com/

Note:
1) So-called aircraft cable (galvanized or stainless) is only available up
to about 3/8" dia.
2) metal core area may be about 65% of solid for similar diameter.
3) cable should be pre-stretched before installation and will still stretch
more than similar solid area bar under service loads. The hysteresis curve
looks more like reinforced concrete than steel.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International