Re: Are wood shearwalls going out of fashion, or what ?

Kevin -

Don't blame your client....  Unless you can establish that the
additional construction cost is necessary, then why would he want to
fork over the additional dough?

You could always offer that client a free review of the other engineers
design.  The point being that you can point out any aggregious code
violations and let your client know exactly what they're getting by
going with crappy engineering.

None of us want to work for free..., but it's one way to establish a,
trusting relationship with that client.  Plus, you will see if that
engineer really is truly designing structures that don't meet code. If
so,  then you will have some ammunition when you report him to the board
for disciplinary action.  If the structure meets code, then you will
have learned a little more about what that engineer does with his design
that helps to reduce construction cost.

Sincerely,

Josh Plummer, SE

RISA Technologies