From: "Dennis Wish" <dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 8:52 PM
Subject: RE: Spreadsheet Question

>From my experience, it is next to impossible to crack spreadsheet password
protection. Protecting a spreadsheet is a multi-step process. You need to
protect each sheet and then protect the workbook. Once the workbook is
protected a password can be applied. If you lose the password - you're out
of luck.
I've tried to crack password protected spreadsheets. The software that is
available (especially those that you don't want to pay for) uses a database
of commonly used words - the most frequently used passwords and will run for
a while trying different passwords to unlock the spreadsheet. None of these
have been successful.

With this said, if the work that was password protected was done on your
time, you have the right to retrieve the password for the author who worked
for you. However, as you pointed out, this might be difficult if he left and
especially if he left on less than good terms. If he wrote the spreadsheet
on his time out of your office, then you are attempting to violate his
copyright protection and this is a no-no. Personally I don't protect my
spreadsheets because I am still hoping that those who use them will improve
them and send them back to me. I like the idea of sharing spreadsheet
software but understand those who spend hundreds of hours to create a
program and want to protect the work that they did - if only to protect
their potential for liability by changes made to the spreadsheet that can
affect the accuracy of the software.

Kipp, track the guy down. If he is an engineer, you should be able to find
him. I can't guarantee he will remember the password he used!

Good luck,
Dennis

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer