RE: Relative Stiffness of Wood Shearwalls

Scott:
The easiest way for you to evaluate how the Hardy Frames were tested and how
many configurations (there are a lot) is to download the ICC report at :
http://www.hardyframe.com/pfc5342.pdf

I am ignorant of the AC requirements and it was not mentioned anywhere in
the ICC report. The only reference was to the ACI code for compliance with
ACI 318 requirements for foundation connections.

With this said, I acquiesce to your knowledge on this subject and have
learned something new - Thanks Scott.

As far as straight line interpolation in frames that are not listed in their
catalog both Shearmax and Hardy recommended a straight line interpolation (I
discussed this with Maged Diab with Hardy and Kent Carlson, PE with
Shearmax.

Shearmax has a set of formula's to calculate the deflection and capacity of
non-standard size frames. I used this to create a spreadsheet that they can
give away - but am waiting for them to review it before we release it. If it
is accurate, then I assume that it will be offered to those who want it to
simplify the design of non-standard frames.

There are standard formulas for Hardy Panels and Frames in the ICC report. I
will translate these to TEDDS, Excel and MathCAD (I just order MathCAD
Platinum for a special $149.95 for a package that is worth [to Mathsoft] as
$2,200.00). While I am a devoted TEDDS user, my fear is whether TEDDS will
be updating their software for Word past the Word 2002 or Word XP software.

Thanks for the information regarding the AC  report information - I was
unaware of this and am finding that I need to rethink some of the newer
technology and design requirements.

Regards,
Dennis

Dennis S. Wish, PE