Re: Relative Stiffness of Wood Shearwalls

Gail, I just looked up Empirical on Dictionary.com and it states:

Relying on or derived from observation or experiment: “empirical results that supported the hypothesis.”

Verifiable or provable by means of observation or experiment: “empirical laws.”

Guided by practical experience and not theory, especially in medicine.”

I agree with all of the definitions.  Basically, "empirical"  means you can see something happened,  but you're not quite sure why it happened. Or you expect it will happen, but you are not quite sure why it will happen.

Still, I don't think you can "empirically test" something.

Gail Kelley