From: chuck utzman [mailto:chuckuc(--nospam--at)pacbell.net]
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2004 8:37 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Relative Stiffness of Wood Shearwalls

Gail-
Are you bored, or just feeling particularly pedantic tonite :o)
Dennis' meaning is clear & his point was important. Relax.
Chuck Utzman, P.E.

GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

>Gail, I just looked up Empirical on Dictionary.com and it states:
>
>Relying on or derived from observation or experiment: “empirical results
that supported the hypothesis.”

>Verifiable or provable by means of observation or experiment: “empirical
laws.”

>Guided by practical experience and not theory, especially in medicine.”
>

>I agree with all of the definitions.  Basically, "empirical"  means you can
see something happened,  but you're not quite sure why it happened. Or you
expect it will happen, but you are not quite sure why it will happen.

>Still, I don't think you can "empirically test" something.
>
>Gail Kelley

>*
>*
>*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp