Re: Relative Stiffness of Wood Shearwalls

Gail:

I would argure that the "old way" (before the days of engineering
calculations, etc), buildings were commonly "empirically tested".  That is
buildings were constructed in ways that "pushed the envelope" and the
buildings (i.e. old Europeon churches, etc) were then "empirically
tested"...in otherword, if they did not fall down or have parts that
collapsed, then that construction method was continued.  If they did
partially collapse or completely falldown, then "lessons were learned"
and things were no longer built that way.

So, the point is that you CAN "empirically test" things per your enclosed
"definition" ('"empirical"  means you can see something happened,  but
you're not quite sure why it happened').  Now, one could argue that is no
longer the case.  But, then someone else could argue that in some, if not
many cases, research testing could really be "you see something happen,
but not quite sure why it happened", but have some theories (and so maybe
you do further testing to attempt to prove those theories).

So, while I would not have necessarily called it "empirical testing"
myself, I can certain "see it" as such.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI