Re: Retaining wall fees

In a message dated 5/28/2004 1:12:55 PM Pacific Standard Time, jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com writes:
Charging the client by the
> square foot of total walls when you need only design 1-foot wide section
> depending on soil changes and retained heights is not an option here.
>
> Dennis
This is the problem with our profession is that we are undercharging ourselves.  Why not charge by percentage of the cost of the project just like the realtors do.  This is related to charging by square foot or by linear foot.  Charging nominal fee because we only need to do a section and simple calculations is downgrading our profession.  I think we should be compensated in relation for the number of years we have spent in the university and not only on the number of hours we spent on the job. I don't have a complain why doctors and lawyers charge more than the engineers but I  feel slighted when most jobs that need lower education receive more than engineers because they protect themselves by charging the minimum fees in relation to the cost of the job they are working on.  Something should be done so that it will be unethical to charge lower than the minimum prevailing charges!

What is funny is that realtors compared to three years ago are now being paid double or triple because prices of houses doubled or tripled in the past three years while engineers are still charging almost the same thing.  Poor engineers!

I'm really frustrated the way engineers are being compensated to the point that I don't even encourage my kids to take up engineering.

A.S.Quilala Jr., P.E.