ACI 318-02 reinforcing steel questions

Section 7.6.5 says that reinforcing steel in slabs
can?t be spaced more than 18? on center.
Section 12.11.1 says that at least one third (simple
spans) or one fourth (continuous spans) of the bottom
bars in slabs must extend into the supports.

Here are two questions:

Question 1:  If my slab is reinforced with bars at 18?
on center, can I terminate half the bottom bars short
of the support and only extend bars at 36? on center
into the support, or is section 12.11.1 only
applicable when you have so much bottom steel that
even if you do terminate two thirds or three quarters
of the bars short of the support, the remaining bars
will no further apart than 18? on center?

Question 2:  Section 12.11.1 says that some of the
bottom bars have to extend into the supports, and says
that for beams the bottom bars must go at least 6?
into the supports. This leads me to wonder how far is
?far enough? for slab bottom bars to extend into the
supports. If my slab bottom bars extend 2 microns into
the support, did I meet the requirement of section
12.11.1?

It might sound like I?m splitting hairs with these
questions, but I?m asking them because ACI 318 is a
legal document and structural engineers who ignore
even the most seemingly minor requirements could find
themselves trouble in certain situations.

TIA,

Cliff Schwinger