From: Clifford Schwinger [mailto:clifford234(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 7:05 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: ACI 318-02 reinforcing steel questions

Section 7.6.5 says that reinforcing steel in slabs cant be spaced more than
18 on center.
Section 12.11.1 says that at least one third (simple
spans) or one fourth (continuous spans) of the bottom bars in slabs must
extend into the supports.

Here are two questions:

Question 1:  If my slab is reinforced with bars at 18 on center, can I
terminate half the bottom bars short of the support and only extend bars at
36 on center into the support, or is section 12.11.1 only applicable when
you have so much bottom steel that even if you do terminate two thirds or
three quarters of the bars short of the support, the remaining bars will no
further apart than 18 on center?

Question 2:  Section 12.11.1 says that some of the bottom bars have to
extend into the supports, and says that for beams the bottom bars must go at
least 6 into the supports. This leads me to wonder how far is far enough
for slab bottom bars to extend into the supports. If my slab bottom bars
extend 2 microns into the support, did I meet the requirement of section
12.11.1?

It might sound like Im splitting hairs with these questions, but Im asking
them because ACI 318 is a legal document and structural engineers who ignore
even the most seemingly minor requirements could find themselves trouble in
certain situations.

TIA,

Cliff Schwinger