RE: Swimming Pools

Title: Message
Not to be overly negative, but here a few thoughts on in-ground swimming pool design:

1]  If your contractor (client) does not routinely build swimming pools, you should encourage him to subcontract the work to a recognized swimming pool contractor.

2]  If your contractor does routinely build swimming pools, he doesn't really need your design services.  What he really is after is to shift, or at least to share, the liability.

3]  There are no building code provisions or recognized engineering practices that you can rely on to justify your design of an in-ground swimming pool, especially if it is a free-form shape.  Mostly, it boils down to judgment.

4]  A "full" (6%) design fee might only amount to $1,500 - $2,000 (+/-).  This does not begin to cover your effort AND your liability.

5]  Swimming pools inherently involve lots of liability. It goes well beyond drownings, shifting soils, etc.  While I was cleaning my pool on Memorial Day, I heard noises next door.  When I looked over the fence, I spotted five teenage boys repeatedly jumping into the neighbor's pool from the roof of his house.  It was a two-story house.  One slip, or failure to jump far enough horizontally, could have brought death or paralysis.  Then lawyers would arrive with claims that the pool was designed too close to (or too far from) the house, or that it was too shallow (or too deep), etc.

HTH,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas