Re: Swimming pool

That was the same advice I remember hearing (not necessarily from you) several months ago when the question came up.  Its a specialized area best left to those with experience, especially give the propensity for pools to leak, and for leaks to be expensive to repair (can you say "claim"? I knew you could! ;-)

I suspect (though I have no direct knowledge) that the pool sides & bottom are primarily designed as a temporary slope stabilizing structure. IOW, the pool walls are designed only for the short construction period, not for service loads, as the pool, when full, will be essentially at equilibrium (the active/at rest soil pressure < hydrostatic pool water pressure < passive pressure).  That's how they get away with the small thicknesses and minimal reinforcing (Compared to a real retaining structure, at least).

Jordan

At 10:41 PM 6/1/2004 -0700, you wrote:
In my experience in So. Calif. the design of swimming pools is quite specialized. They design them a lot thinner than I would be comfortable with- about 3" I believe. I pass these up.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 18:15:33 -0500 "Bill Polhemus" <bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc> writes:
----- Original Message -----
From: Joe Grill
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 5:44 PM
Subject: Swimming pool

The contractor who will be building the pool has asked me for a proposal to do the design for a below grade swimming pool.  Other than the ?busy? layout the design seems like it should be fairly straight forward.  But, I haven?t done one before and he is talking about shotcrete (in one sentence) then gunite (in the next sentence).  Any help, warnings or other information would be appreciated.  I?ve considered not doing it also, but not for any serious reasons.

http://www.faqfarm.com/Home/Pool/9867

There is this:

"Gunite and Shotcrete are the same thing. They are both a force applied concrete application. The difference between Gunite and Shotcrete is this: one is concrete mixed with water at the site (Gunite) and the other is concrete mixed with water in a truck and then brought to the site (Shotcrete)."

I assume he means one is a cementitious grout (i.e. concrete with very small aggregate) mixed at the site, and the other is batched at the plant.

I'd never heard it put that way before, though.