Response to Nels and Randall and some additional "stuff".

I did go with the 12-inch spacing. Thanks to both of you. Nel’s, Mike Krakower answered the question I had related to tension anchors in reinforced concrete walls and his answer was the same as you – check the punching shear and you will probably find out that the threaded rod is what yields first. As it turns out, I decided to go the most conservative route and rely upon the URM Tension capacity in working stress (ASD) from the old code of 1800 pounds per anchor – even with this the anchor spacing I needed was 62-inches on center but the joist spacing restricted me to 48-inches on center.

I think the issues boiled down to the fact that I didn’t give myself enough time to come up to speed on the latest codes (the 2003 Existing Building Code) and it was easier to ask for help than to spend the hours trying to figure it out on my own.

Bruce Bates was tremendous help in my use of Risa as I have not designed a frame in a number of years and did not remember how to use certain features of the 3D program. I was on the right track but after spending hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, a call to Bruce and the answer was given almost instantly.

I hate to think that I am taking advantage of those of you who are on the list, but isn’t this what the list is about – peers helping peers. I would be lost without the support I get from this list and my own. I just hope that others realize the importance of the list. The last thing we need to do is discourage professional engineers from asking those questions that they feel are elementary or something they should know. I specialize in light-framing and haven’t done a retrofit in years. When I was doing retrofits in the 80’s, this was all I was doing and I was on top of the codes. I’ve lost track of the work and am not re-learning to work with other materials than wood or cold-form. Again, I would be lost without the advice I receive here so I hope we all can take a lesson from this and don’t inadvertently discourage others (as was done to Gail a few days ago) from being clear on what we mean when we debate or respond to a topic.

Thanks again to all – BTW, I called Nel’s on Memorial Day and he called me back within an hour – what the Heck were you doing working????? Do you want to turn out like me a burnt out engineer???? Go out and enjoy your family and the same advice holds for Mike who was in the office when I called :>)

Without you guy’s I’d be lost.

My best regards,

Dennis

Dennis S. Wish, PE