FRP (plastic bridge)

Has anyone had any experience designing FRP (fiber reinforced polymer) or
"plastic" bridges?  About three years ago I designed an experimental bridge
in Jacksonville, Illinois with a plastic bridge deck.  So far it appears to
be performing OK.  This was the first project in Illinois using this
material.  The cost was considerably more than a conventional concrete deck.
I have read several reports from other states.  IDOT engineers are not very
enthusiastic about this material because of high cost, but they are using
the initial project as a basis.  Does anyone out there have opinions on the
future of FRP or plastic bridge components?

Jim Hamilton
Hutchison Engineering, Inc
jhamilton(--nospam--at)hutchisoneng.com
Ph: (217) 245-7164