RE: Steel Shapes

Title: Message
Mike,

The Iron and Steel Beams publication has been updated and replaced by AISC Design Guide 15 on Retrofit and Rehabilitation.  There is a companion computer program with that design guide, which is called "AISC Search Utility for Structural Steel Shapes" which allows you to search through the voluminous compilation of known shape properties quickly and easily.  Both of these are available for free download to AISC members and ePubs subscribers, through the ePubs section of our website, www.aisc.org, or are available in hard copy format at www.aisc.org/bookstore.  Additionally, the design guide gives more pointed information on making complete and accurate assessments of the existing shapes in your structure.  For instance, to be completely sure of which shapes you are looking at, it would also be useful to know if you have tapered or straight flanges, to more definitively identify the shapes as Bethlehem or Carnegie beams (or one of the other misc. producers).

Based on the information provided, I see the following as the most likely shapes.  Please verify these dimensions against those of your actual beams in question.

15"I38#
Designation = H14
W = 138
A = 40.59
D = 15
TW = 0.7
BF = 14.19
TF = 1.125
T = 11.118
K = 1.756
BF_2TF = 6.31
H_TW = 15.9
FY3P = -
X1 = 4722
X2 = 269
IX = 1568.4
ZX = 242.4
SX = 214.5
RX = 6.21
IY = 519.7
ZY = 112.7
SY = 73.3
RY = 3.58
J = 15.8
CW = 23696
a = 62.4
WNO = 47.9
SW = 191
QF = 51.2
QW = 121
FSTR = B 1907,S3 1909,S4 1911,
12"I36# Is most likely:
Designation = H10a
W = 136
A = 40
D = 12
TW = 0.9
BF = 11.2
TF = 1.435
T = 7.692
K = 1.967
BF_2TF = 3.9
H_TW = 8.5
FY3P = -
X1 = 8256
X2 = 31
IX = 889.8
ZX = 181
SX = 153.1
RX = 4.72
IY = 330.8
ZY = 90.8
SY = 59.1
RY = 2.88
J = 24.9
CW = 8588
a = 29.9
WNO = 28.5
SW = 115
QF = 37.6
QW = 90
FSTR = B 1907,
I see no 9"121#, but there is a 9"21# with the following properties:

Designation = S 9x21
W = 21
A = 6.31
D = 9
TW = 0.290
BF = 4.330
TF = 0.459
T = 6.969
K = 1.016
BF_2TF = 4.72
H_TW = 24.0
FY3P = -
X1 = 3587
X2 = 1006
IX = 84.9
ZX = 21.7
SX = 18.9
RX = 3.67
IY = 5.2
ZY = 4.01
SY = 2.4
RY = 0.90
J = 0.45
CW = 94.1
a = 23.2
WNO = 9.25
SW = 4.59
QF = 3.96
QW = 10.8
FSTR = C 1896,C 1900,C 1903,C 1913,IL 1914,C 1915,C 1916,C 1917,C 1919,C 1920,C 1916,C 1917,C 1919,C 1920,IL 1914,IL 1925,IL 1932,B 1907,S6 1919,CA 1921,
And I have no record of a 12"128.5# beam, but a 12"128 beam from Bethlehem starting in 1907 had the following properties:

Designation = H11a
W = 128
A = 37.53
D = 12
TW = 0.78
BF = 12.04
TF = 1.247
T = 8.474
K = 1.825
BF_2TF = 4.83
H_TW = 10.9
FY3P = -
X1 = 6619
X2 = 72
IX = 949.9
ZX = 181.3
SX = 156.7
RX = 5.03
IY = 355.4
ZY = 90.6
SY = 59
RY = 3.08
J = 17.9
CW = 10515
a = 39
WNO = 32.7
SW = 123
QF = 38.2
QW = 91
FSTR = B 1907,
Also, look forward to a pda version of this search utility program, expected late this year.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact the AISC Steel Solutions Center at solutions(--nospam--at)aisc.org

Sincerely,

Chris Hewitt
AISC Staff Engineer