Re: FRP (plastic bridge)

>Does anyone out there have opinions on the
>future of FRP or plastic bridge components?
Given what I've seen in a couple of areas, namely FRP pipe and an
interesting experience with glass epoxy wrapped compressed natural gas
tanks, I'm not convinced that it's ready for prime time. Load bearing
applications don't have the same problems as Corvette bodies and boat
hulls. Connections are quite different and there are durability issues.
For some applications FRP can't be beat, but it's hard to imagine how the
economics works with bridges.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw