From: Haan, Scott M. [mailto:HaanSM(--nospam--at)ci.anchorage.ak.us]
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 6:20 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Seismic Piping Question

I do not think many people understand the impact of the question that is
raised in this thread.   Knowing when piping is exempt from IBC component
bracing design requirements is important.  I believe most building
departments are not well versed in IBC 1621 architectural, mechanical and
electrical component bracing requirements.  When they get savvy, watch out
if you do not have component bracing design exempted from your scope of
work.  The most important sections to know are the ones that tell you when
seismic restraint is not required.  Deformability of the pipe determines
some exemptions to component seismic bracing.

The SMACNA Seismic Restraint Manual outlines the mechanical and structural
engineer's responsibilities.  I would not rack your brains over when the
piping has high deformability, it is the mechanical engineers responsibility
to give you this information if you ask.  Ask the mechanical engineer.

I have heard some mechanical engineers argue that they include general notes
and indicate in their specifications that the mechanical and plumbing stuff
needs to be braced per the SMACNA Seismic so why have any detail on the
plans.  I am sorry but relying on a note to brace stuff per the SMACNA
Seismic Manual  ensures that the component bracing requirements will not be
met on smaller projects most of the time, even if you have a IBC 1705
quality assurance plan [which gets overlooked on smaller projects by
building departments most of the time too].

The SMACNA manual is relatively easy to use and straightforward. It has
standard details where the bracing member sizes and connections are picked
out of schedules based on the a "seismic hazard level" which  is determined
from the IBC seismic coefficient.  If you have to design bracing for duct
work or pipes - buy the SMACNA Seismic Restraint Manual, put some sheets
together with standard SMACNA details / notes and then put the schedules
relevant to the details on the sheets - easy cheesy.  Throw this on your
plans and there is not much thought involved.   I also recommend having a
generic IBC 1705  quality assurance plan that can have the stuff that is not
needed cut out of.

Respectfully,

Scott M. Haan P.E.
Deputy Building Official

Municipality of Anchorage
Development Services  Department
Mission Statement:  Guide safe construction and responsible development for
the community.