RE: Grade Beam Design - HELP!

Bill,

Yes, I think that is essentially the solution one of the List members has helped me understand. Essentially, the reactions of the columns from bending and any load that they carry (one column of the frame replaces a damaged concrete column) is transferred to the erection pad (including the reactions due to the moments transferred from the base of the steel columns into the foundation (R=2M/L).

I believe what he has showed me is that as long as the reinforcing steel in the foundation does not yield in tension or compression, then the rebar is keeping the concrete from any appreciable bending that would place pressure on the soil (other than its own weight). This simplifies the analysis by no longer considering soil pressure as an iterative process to determine controlling width or depth due to allowable increases.

Would you agree with this or is that what you were referring to?

Thanks to all for your input and help – I’ve learned a great deal on this project.

Best Regards,

Dennis

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer