RE: 2001 NDS nail penetration

You're right, Nels.

Reducing the capacity for this application because the penetration isn't 12D
is ridiculous. I guess someone at who actually designs for a living finally
(better than never) looked at this and took some action.

My question:

Are the tabulated values reduced?

In the 1997 NDS, Table 12.3B for Douglas Fir-Larch, the maximum (based on
side member thickness) capacity of a 10d is 118 lbs.

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
San Juan Capistrano, CA