Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Legal and liability - using my stamp

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Your best money will be spent consulting with a local attorney experienced in such matters.  Some of the real complications come from setting up the proper business entity.  As I found speaking with my attorney, there were few options I could pursue as an owner and as a licensed professional.  It is possible that the current business structure of your company is not permitted to have a licensed engineer as a partner.  I suspect this is a matter that is widely abused and seldom, if ever enforced.


At least in PA, the legal statutes leave a lot to be desired when explaining the differences between business entities.  I came very close to being set up as an entity defined solely for practicing healthcare professionals.  Part of it was because my attorney didn't have a clue and hadn't started an engineering business before and part of it was because the laws aren't too clear.  If it wasn't for me complaining to my attorney that I would be stuck paying an extraneous $300+ annual fee to the state, I might be a doctor by now...


You may also have to look into state requirements for something such as a "Certificate of Authority."  To stamp anything in New Jersey, for example, the company submitting plans/calcs must be registered to perform engineering services in the state with the responsible stamping individual specifically identified.  Essentially, the individual PE license is only half of the equation.  Fortunately, you don't have to take an extra exam, but there is another annual fee to gripe about.


James Wilson


Stroudsburg, PA

Do you Yahoo!?
Friends. Fun. Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger