Re: masonry veneer arches

Paul

You'll need to comply with Section 1403.6, which deals with anchored veneer, for out of plane loads as you indicated. However, the arch needs to be dealt with separately for gravity loads. Whether you can calculate the stresses in the arch to justify the design, or provide a lintel, is something you'll need to discuss with the building official.

Ben Yousefi, SE
Santa Monica, CA

>>> PFFEI(--nospam--at)aol.com 06/07/04 02:34PM >>>
I need clarification of the requirements for support of non structural
masonry veneer at masonry arch lintels, in seismic zone 4 (los angeles)

i have a condition with 7' diameter brick masonry arches (perfect half
circle) with approximately 8' of masonry above the top of the arch.  the masonry is
all below the 30' height limit by code, so the wall construction is self
supporting for gravity loads to foundation, and is braced to metal stud wall for
out of plane forces.

at the arches, the masonry is visible from the underside so it would not be
possible to provide a curved angle lintel to support the arch from below, and
the radius of the arch is very tight which makes the use of a concealed lintel
system like halfen difficult, and there is only limited space to the space to
try and add longitudinal reinforcing and ties to reinforce the arch.

my understanding of ubc code chapter 14 is that the arch could be self
supporting unreinforced masonry for gravity loads if below 30' above grade, and only
needs to be braced for out of plane seismic forces.  is that the correct
interpretation?

thanks in advance for your response.

paul franceschi, s.e.