From: Carter, Charlie [mailto:carter(--nospam--at)aisc.org]
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 10:53 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Steel Shapes

Gail,

In the interest of disclosure, I'll say that you previously and
privately sent me some more descriptive details of what you would like
to see improved in AISC Design Guide 18. I have given your comments to
the author and I am awaiting his response. Until that time, I think it
is presumptuous of you to declare it bad simply based upon your own
opinion. I do appreciate that you sent those suggestions to me.

Thinking more philosophically, it is an interesting problem to
disseminate the work you've done -- even that which you consider to be
of unquestionable quality. Others are free to disagree with it, pick it
apart, and even find errors in it. The harsh reality you will find is
that there is no product ever produced that meets the standards you seem
to want to apply. I'd be shocked if even your own work were to meet it.

I mean you no insult in suggesting this, but perhaps you should be less
quick to launch such summary judgments.

Charlie