RE: E-pubs <rant>

Bill:

While I am not necessarily saying the price that you paid is fully
justifiable, keep in mind that what you are paying for is for the staff to
do the page layout, proofing, support of the committee (i.e. track voting
of ballots, track committee membership, etc), make sure that the committee
follows the consensus process, and so on.  The cost for printing (i.e. the
paper, ink, binding, etc) is relatively small.  This should explain the
same cost for electronic versions as paper versions (OK, truth be told
there could be/should be a MINOR diffence in cost).

Now, I realize the above comment really addresses Mike Jones' "rant".

Personally, I have a hard time "buying" (pun intented) the notion that a
58 page ACI document should cost $90.  $90 is about the price that one
would pay for a textbook or major code book (hundreds of pages).  But,
then I also realize that there a lots of economic factors that I may or
may not see at work (such as number of that document that gets sold...the
law of "supply and demand" as many people preach about and support when
talking about the captialistic country that we live in).

So, is the price that you paid justifiable?  Dunno.  I don't know all the
facts, and I would hazard a guess that neither do you.  At first blush, I
would agree that I find it hard to believe, but then ACI could open up the
books to me and you and we could learn that they have plenty of reason to
charge that amount.

So, personally, I will reserve my judgement.  That does not mean that I
(nor you) should voice any concerns about such an issue that we may have.
But, I would suggest that any such concerns be put in constructive forms
and forwarded as constructive feedback to ACI.  It may not change much as
I am sure (as Jay pointed out) that they are working to be as cost
efficient as possible.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI