Re: RR Flat Car Bridges

Yes, the cost of the piers and abutments will be several hundred thousand
$ assuming you build it to resist flood waters.
The purchase of the flat cars is a very small part of the total cost.
Your span appears to be very large for this type of bridge. Have you
checked to see if the local county or agency will allow you to place
piers in the streambed?
I have designed several dozen bridges in the last 40 years, including a
couple using flat cars but only one 40 ft. span. Railings alone will be
several 10s of thousands of $.
I suggest continuing the use of the low water crossing (Texas bridge) and
a boat otherwise.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA