CBC 1806.6

This section requires anchor bolts to be embedded 7" into concrete.

a.) Can anyone offer (non-speculative) insight into this requirement? It's
got a black bar on the margin, so I'm assuming this was a change for a
particular reason. Table 19-D doesn't require this much embedment for bolts
less than 1" diameter (4-1/2" for 5/8" diameter bolts).

b.) If the anchor bolt is placed in a two-pour system where the bolt
penetrates the slab pour into the footing pour (and the slab is tied to the
footing with "L" dowels), can I use the slab as part of the 7"? Normally I
don't (and I definitely don't for anchors in tension).

Thanks,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
San Juan Capistrano, CA