From: Bill Allen [mailto:T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)cox.net]
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 7:08 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Seismic Bracking of Water Heaters

I don't do a lot of residential work, but I've got a plan check correction
on one such project which reads "Provide seismic anchorage for water heater.
CPC 510.5".

What is normally done to comply? A note? A detail?

Aren't there kits at Home Depot for this?

I don't want to "over-engineer" (I HATE that term!) this thing, but I want
to address it once and once only. I told my client I could provide a WF
frame which would be adequate. He responded "Would those be Seismic Demand
Category A or Category B welds?". At least I've got him thinking in the
right direction :o).

Thanks,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
San Juan Capistrano, CA