RE: Criticism (was Steel Shapes)

Gail Kelly wrote: "Apparently engineering documents are different from
movies, other books, cars, refrigerators, electric shavers, etc., ...."

In my opinion there should be a difference in how opinions are expressed in
a professional forum vs opinions regarding entertainment and consumer
products. Differing opinions should still be welcomed but the manner in
which they are expressed should be tempered somewhat. I think it is good
that you have suggestions to improve the quality of engineering documents,
but I have noticed that sometimes you express your views in a rather harsh
manner. I would encourage you to continue to comment on documents but to
find a way to do so as "constructive criticism" rather than a harsh
"putdown".

I have also noticed that your comments often relate to "semantics". There is
nothing wrong with encouraging an improvement in written communication, but
others may not be as concerned as you if the technical intent is understood.
I have worked on documents produced by committees at ACI and find that
different people have different writing styles and abilities. It is
sometimes hard to agree on wording of every sentence in a document. We
certainly should continue to attempt to ensure the quality of written
documents, but such documents will never be perfect just as engineering
drawings will never be perfect even when we strive for quality.

You have posted a number of technical articles which I have found to be of
interest - I would also encourage you to continue posting such information.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311