RE: R Value for Wood Brace

"Basically they are not allowed as far as the  building code is concerned.  That is why there is no R value and no provisions for the wood OMF."

I talked to some of the wood folks a little while ago about this topic, and from what they said, saying that it is "not allowed" is rather strong, it just isn't specifically defined anymore, which isn't a good thing for the system, but it is different from being not allowed.  The folks I have talked to are optimistic that they will be able to validate the system in the manner that ICC and ASCE are are looking for and get it included in future code cycles, but of course until they actually do that it is a subject for debate and there is always the chance the it won't happen.  I got the feeling that some of the wood industry people didn't realize that it was going to be taken out without specific action on their part, and didn't hear about that until after the fact.  I could be wrong about that, my impression is just based on a casual conversation I had.  Now I should be clear in saying I'm not advocating the system personally, even in '97 UBC country I have used steel braced frames in timber construction, but I don't think the system has been banned as such.

Paul Crocker, PE, SE