From: "Hood, Matthew O." <HoodMO(--nospam--at)ci.anchorage.ak.us>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: R Value for Wood Brace
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:07:38 -0800

Harold,

Thanks for the response. The reason I ask is that I'm wondering how you
would brace your standard residential deck. If the deck is large and
high off of the ground it will need some bracing. If, in addition, you
put a hot tub on that deck you've got an even bigger problem. If you
can't use wood braces what do you do? Most home owners aren't going to
want to enclose it to use shear walls. Is moving to steel the only
option allowed by code to keep it open?

-Matt