From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 4:46 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Concrete Joists

Barry,

Get out your chipping hammer.  You may strike structural steel.

Often times in the 30's they used concrete as the fireproofing on structural

steel.  I have seen it on many 30's vintage projects.  They used it on steel

beams, girders, and steel trusses.  Old books will give you thicknesses and
fire ratings for structural steel.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

>From: "Barry H. Welliver" <barrywelliver2(--nospam--at)earthlink.net>
>To: "Seaint Listserv" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
>Subject: Concrete Joists
>Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:21:29 -0600
>
>I am doing a remodel to a 1930'3 concrete residence and came upon an
>unusual
>(to me) framing system.
>

>The floor slab is concrete which is supported on joists which look like
>"fat" TJI's at 16" on center. At first I thought I was looking at a
>fireproof spray on to a wood I joist, but they're real concrete. It was not
>readily apparent whether the floor slab is monolithic with to floor slab
>but
>they do seem to have been poured with the concrete girders.
>

>Any idea what this may be? The house is apparently the work of a local Salt
>Lake City "cement" man, but it's got me stumped.
>

>Barry H. Welliver
>
>barrywelliver2(--nospam--at)earthlink.net

Looking to buy a house? Get informed with the Home Buying Guide from MSN
House & Home. http://coldwellbanker.msn.com/