From: "Henry Gallart" <hgallart(--nospam--at)sideplate.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: Hay storage
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:40:17 -0700

A couple of years ago I had the "Opportunity" to clean out a hayloft
full of bales dating back to the late '60s. The material was clearly not
packed as tightly as the bales I was bucking on a daily basis for my
animals; I would estimate 40-60% less weight. Reduction in moisture
content after 30 years of drying surely accounted for some of it but
after breaking some of the bales and seeing how much material was in
there I believe that more efficient machinery (tighter packing, and
therefore denser bales) is the primary contributor. I do know this-good
alfalfa hay always weighs 100 lb/bale if you're selling, and 70 lb/bale
if you're buying.

Based on my experience I would go with the heavier loads that have been
quoted in previous emails.

Shaun Dustin, PE

SidePlate Systems, Inc