Re: Strengthen wood beam -help

I should have learned about this about 40 yrs. ago at U. of Illinois
but----
I must strengthen a couple of 4x8 roof beams at 3ft. oc. spanning 21 ft
which are deflecting too much (and which are overstressed)
I propose adding 1/4" x 7.25" plates on each side- after jacking up the
beams, and using Simpson 1/4" x 3" SDS screws to attach the plates to the
beams to make a Flitch Beam.
Can anyone tell me the best method of determining if these screws will be
adequate and what spacing should be used?
I have designed the plates to take all the load.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA