RE: Strengthen wood beam -help

Damn U of I guys...always need the Purdue engineers to help them out...

Stan:

Wouldn't the standard shear flow equation apply here?

([VQ]/[It])

This should give you the horizontal shear in the bolt line

(required between point of zero and maximum moment) as a function
Of effective depth...

Divide by the fastener capacity to determine the number of bolts...

Or, do what Frank Lloyd Wright did when his engineering "fell short"
As it often did...

Use offset wire on each side to "post-tension" the wood section...

(Think he did this on the Hanna house in Palo Alto)

Good luck!

David L. Fisher SE PE
Fisher + partners
372 West Ontario