Re: Firewall braced by rated floors and roof

My understanding of the IBC is that true "firewalls" that provide separation due to maximum building area limitations, etc., such as you describe are 3 hour firewalls (used to be 4 hours in previous Standard Building Code). These structure on each side of the wall is required to be independent of the wall.

2 hour fire partitions (not sure of the exact code terminology) do not require any structural separation.

Rick Burch
Columbia, SC

Kestner, James W. wrote:

I have a small addition which contains stairs elevator and 5 floor levels (3 main levels and 2 partial levels). The existing building that we are connecting to is at the maximum area and therefore we need a 2 hour "firewall". We are building a new firewall but because of the broken up nature of the new building, the fall away concept gets quite complicated and expensive. One thought was to use 2 hour precast hollowcore floors and hard tie them into the firewall. If the floors and roof match the rating of the firewall, then the wall should be stable in a fire for the required period.
Is the intent of IBC 705.2 met with this construction?