RE: Strengthen wood beam -help

The basic concept is a "flitch plate" if you do load sharing. If you don't do load sharing, and put all the load in plates, then you need to design for stability bracing the compression flange of the plate. Joe Yura uses 2% of the in plane forces for the out of plane stability. That takes care of strength, but you still need to look at stiffness (Timoshenko). But stiffness rarely governs.

Regards,
Harold Sprague