From: Kestner, James W. [mailto:jkestner(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com]
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 4:26 PM
To: SEAINT
Subject: Firewall braced by rated floors and roof

I have a small addition which contains stairs elevator and 5 floor levels (3
main levels and 2 partial levels). The existing building that we are
connecting to is at the maximum area and therefore we need a 2 hour
"firewall".

We are building a new firewall but because of the broken up nature of the
new building, the fall away concept gets quite complicated and expensive.

One thought was to use 2 hour precast hollowcore floors and hard tie them
into the firewall. If the floors and roof match the rating of the firewall,
then the wall should be stable in a fire for the required period.

Is the intent of IBC 705.2 met with this construction?