RE: Firewall braced by rated floors and roof

Generally most firewalls are 3 hour, however, for our situation there is an exception that allows 2 hour for certain types of construction only. It is listed in one of the footnotes.

Jim K.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Burch [mailto:rburch(--nospam--at)conterra.com]
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 6:41 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Firewall braced by rated floors and roof

My understanding of the IBC is that true "firewalls" that provide
separation due to maximum building area limitations, etc.,  such as you
describe are 3 hour firewalls (used to be 4 hours in previous Standard
Building Code). These structure on each side of the wall is required to
be independent of the wall.

2 hour fire partitions (not sure of the exact code terminology) do not
require any structural separation.

Rick Burch
Columbia, SC