swimming pool

I am a bit behind reading the list but wanted to share some thoughts regarding pool design that was being discussed around 06/02/04.

We do quite a bit of work for water parks and commercial swimming pools. For design prepossess we follow the recommendations of ACI 350R-6 2.5 for large reinforced concrete reservoirs. These recommendations are for environmental structures but, as some one on this list once pointed out to me I doubt the concrete knows the difference.

Basically we design the pool wall as a retaining wall for the pool full of water and no soil, and for full soil pressure without any counteracting water (pool drained).  Depending on the depth of the pool we will thicken the toe of the wall. We of course use water stops at all expansion joints but also all of our pools use a plaster finish not a paint. It costs more but provides a waterproof finish. This plaster also helps prevent corrosion of the rebar due to the chlorine. We usually spec at least a 4000psi concrete and use I like to add an additional 1/2" of cover from what is normal (minimum) to help protect the steel. All are pools are done with shotcrete by a specialized pool contractor.

Our minimum wall thickness is 6-8" this accommodates in wall pipes etc. If anyone is using 3" walls for such structures I would suggest they re-evaluate their priorities.

Mark L. Puccio P.E., S.E.
Structural Engineer
Ramaker & Associates
email:mpuccio(--nospam--at)ramaker.com

------_=_NextPart_001_01C448B2.18EE7650

Not to be overly negative, but here a few thoughts on in-ground swimming
pool design:
=20
1]  If your contractor (client) does not routinely build swimming pools,
you should encourage him to subcontract the work to a recognized
swimming pool contractor.
=20
2]  If your contractor does routinely build swimming pools, he doesn't
really need your design services.  What he really is after is to shift,
or at least to share, the liability.
=20
3]  There are no building code provisions or recognized engineering
practices that you can rely on to justify your design of an in-ground
swimming pool, especially if it is a free-form shape.  Mostly, it boils
down to judgment.=20
=20
4]  A "full" (6%) design fee might only amount to $1,500 - $2,000 (+/-).
This does not begin to cover your effort AND your liability.
=20
5]  Swimming pools inherently involve lots of liability. It goes well
beyond drownings, shifting soils, etc.  While I was cleaning my pool on
Memorial Day, I heard noises next door.  When I looked over the fence, I
spotted five teenage boys repeatedly jumping into the neighbor's pool
from the roof of his house.  It was a two-story house.  One slip, or
failure to jump far enough horizontally, could have brought death or
paralysis.  Then lawyers would arrive with claims that the pool was
designed too close to (or too far from) the house, or that it was too
shallow (or too deep), etc.