From: Meyer, Jonathan [mailto:jmeyer(--nospam--at)webbersmith.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004 7:52 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Steel Fibers Replacing Structural Reinforcing?

I am currently designing an industrial facility a portion of which is a rack supported building. We designed the mat foundation to support this building and came up with an 18 thick slab with two layers of #7 bars @12 OCEW. One of the concrete contractors has asked a steel fiber manufacturer to value engineer the reinforcing to determine if they can do it with steel fibers instead of the reinforcing specified. There are also slab on grade and elevated composite slabs in this facility. Thats the background, here is my question Has anyone replaced structural reinforcing with steel fibers and are there any standards related to such a replacement?

The steel fiber representative called me and told me that they would have to increase the slab thickness to 19 and use 60# of fiber per cubic yard. He invited me to use their software to verify the design. I guess I am a bit skeptical about using someone elses software that has a vested interest in the outcome of the design to produce a design. I told the steel fiber manufacturer that they would have to take full responsibility for the design and produce sealed stamped plans if they wanted to change my designs to steel fiber for the mat slab of the rack supported building. As far as the slabs on grade are concerned, I feel that if the client wants to use steel fibers in those areas that would be fine as long as they understand any limitations of the fibers.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for you assistance.

Jonathan Meyer

Webber Smith Associates