RE: Steel Fibers Replacing Structural Reinforcing?

Title: RE: Steel Fibers Replacing Structural Reinforcing?

Thanks for all the input on steel fiber substitution. To elaborate on the design, we are sitting on a clay soil and about one third of the racked facility is a dry grocery, one third cooler and one third -10 degree freezer..  We applied the loads we received from the rack manufacturer and applied the appropriate load factors. We modeled the slab using SAFE to determine the slab design. I believe the thickness we came up with is appropriate for the loads we have, the code requirements and the site conditions.

I have no objection to the use of steel fibers in the slabs on grade. I am skeptical about their use in the mat slab for the rack supported building mat slab. We plan to delve into this further with the owner, the fiber manufacturer and the concrete contractor. I appreciate all of the various responses and information that has been provided. Thanks to all.

Jonathan Meyer

Webber Smith Associates

Lancaster, PA