RE: existg CMU

Harold Sprague wrote:
> A lot of times, in lieu of bolting an angle to the wall, I
> will place in a steel T section.  The web is placed in a head
> joint.  There are headed studs welded to the web which
> anchors it into the CMU wall.  The flange of the T serves as
> a weld plate.

Interesting, we have a similar detail that we use for support angles for
edge support of metal decking at CMU - but we place the web into a bed joint
with a welded anchor down into a bond beam. We use a welded plate
fabrication to form the T-section. We typically locate individual weld
plates at 4-ft oc and weld the deck support angle to the plate.

For my current problem, I have recommended to our field engineer that the
CMU cells to receive drilled-in anchors have grout injected into the cells.
I haven't heard whether the Contractor has agreed to this approach.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311